I have been making this tomato sauce for years now. It is extremely versatile and quick to make if you’re in a pinch.
This sauce is also a really great place to start if you want to stop buying sauce and start making your own. I started making this sauce because I was having a hard time finding a tomato sauce that I liked. I also noticed that the sauces that we were eating contained a lot of sugar. With two young boys at home I need to be able to control their sugar intake.
Once I started making my own sauce for pasta and lasagna is was easy to stop buying it. This recipe really takes no time at all as far as prep work is concerned and you’ll love the aroma that floats through your house once it’s ready! Not to mention how great it tastes!
Enjoy Your Homemade Tomato Sauce
This is a very easy versatile sauce that can be put together quickly
- 2 28oz cans whole tomatoes
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp dried or fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Using a blender or an immersion blender puree both cans of tomatoes.
- In a medium sauce pan add the pureed tomatoes
- To the sauce pan add the remaining ingredients and stir to blend
- Bring the sauce to a boil on med high heat
- Lower to minimum and allow to simmer for 1-2 hours with a lid half on
- Once the sauce has boiled down, remove the bay leaves
- Serve over noodles of your choice